Every business needs some public exposure. But, unfortunately, the internet and media coverage doesn’t come itself – you need to work for it. You need to write and distribute your story effectively to get picked by journalists, editors, and influencers.
In this article to press release distribution, we’ll cover some of the most asked questions to help you with your next PR strategy:
- What is a press release distribution?
- Why is press release important?
- What are the benefits of sending a press release?
- How to distribute a news release?
- What are the distribution of press release mistakes and how to avoid these?
Keep reading if you want to learn how to properly craft a newsworthy press release, pitch, and distribute to journalists for increased brand awareness and internet visibility.
What is Press Release Distribution?
According to Wikipedia’s definition: “A press release is an official statement delivered to members of the news media to provide information, an official statement, or make an announcement.”
The purpose of sending a press release is to land your story in front of the target audience through media publications such as newspapers, radio, TV, blogs, podcasts, or news websites.
What makes a Press Release newsworthy?
The purpose of a news release is to generate some public awareness, make the news, and get some traffic to your website. Press release distribution is a cost-effective tool to deliver high-quality content to hundreds or even thousands of news outlets.
But not everything is worth getting published. The most basic element of a press release is its newsworthiness. Are you hiring someone new? Moving to another place? Extending your workforce? Launching a new book? Introducing a new App? Organizing an event or job affair? Want to share the financial report with your stakeholders?
You can learn more about the situations when you should take initiative and send a press release in the other article I wrote here.
What are the benefits of distributing a Press Release?
Getting featured by the media outlets helps to put your business or brand in front of the audience who might have no idea about your existence before. That’s help for generating some brand awareness – especially when you are published by the most trustworthy news sources.
Distributing a press release also has these five advantages:
1. A press release can get you high-quality backlinks which is a very important factor to determine the rank of your site in the search engine result pages.
2. The cost of sending a press release is much less than all other advertising and marketing activities. However, to maintain the cost at reasonable levels, you should hire a PR agency with affordable PR distribution pricing and packages.
3. Press releases offer an effective way to communicate with your potential audience. The success of a press release relies heavily on the newsworthiness and authenticity of the news.
4. Press releases play an important role to build the reputation and positive image of your brand.
5. Press releases increase the internet visibility of your brand among the community. More press releases you send over the time, more outreach, and publicity you get. Usually, such distribution can be expensive and only for serious business owners.
What are common Press Release Distribution Mistakes?
Many businesses often get excited sending a press release to the media outlets. They have a story that they want to tell the world. Unfortunately, they don’t always follow simple PR distribution rules and face disappointment.
Here are some of the most common mistakes of distributing a press release, and how to avoid these.
1. Some press releases are nothing but ads under the hood. Be sure what you are writing about is informative and useful for the target audience. It has to be a “new” highlight or happening around your business, people would like to know about it.
2. If the heading is too dull or boring, you won’t be able to convince people to read more of it. Make your heading interesting. For example, the following is an example of a good vs. bad heading.
Bad heading: IT company OutsourceShores is extending its workforce and making another office in Alaska
Good heading: OutsourceShores is extending and creating 500 more job opportunities in Alaska
3. Avoid hype or too much information. Use facts and figures; the readers might be interested in it. For example, if you are launching a new beauty product, and want to distribute a press release, mention more about the product. What primary ingredients does it contain? How can it improve the life of users?
4. You have written the news release in the first person and not the third. “We at company X are announcing“ is incorrect and sounds more like a sales pitch. The correct version would “Company X has announced”
5. There is no call to action at the end of a press release or lack information to reach you out.
Which is the Best Press Release Distribution Service in the US?
It depends on what you want to achieve and how much money you can invest in your PR strategy. Press release distribution isn’t expensive with the right PR agency as it provides a rather better ROI for your business.
For example, with our Multiwire PR Distribution package ($399), you get 100+ syndication and inclusion to all major search engines, their news sites, and premium media outlets like CBS, FOX, ABC, CW, Ask.com, and their affiliates.
If you are interested, you can also check the following link that describes the 10 Best Press Release Distribution Services [with Pricing]. Or visit our order page to get started.