The team at Kois Dentistry discusses the many advantages of dental implants compared to other teeth replacement options like dentures.
Seattle, WA—Tooth loss is a common problem that tends to occur with the aging process. Many people suffer from loose or missing teeth, especially as they get older, which can lead to additional issues if not addressed in a timely manner. According to Dr. Dean E. Kois, a prosthodontist in Seattle, replacing teeth that have been lost—such as from decay, injury, or periodontal disease—is essential for preserving oral structures and maintaining good dental health. While bridges and dentures can be effective replacement options, Dr. Kois says his team at Kois Dentistry recommend dental implants whenever possible.
Dental implants are the closest to a natural tooth that a person can get, explains Dr. Kois. Instead of simply replacing the crown of a missing tooth, such as with bridges and dentures, he notes that dental implants replace the tooth down to its root. This is accomplished as the implant post is surgically placed into the jawbone where the tooth is missing. Over the course of approximately four to six months, this post osseointegrates (fuses) with the surrounding bone, becoming a permanent part of the mouth. To finish one’s dental implant process, a custom-made restoration is attached to the top of the implant post.
While losing teeth can be a physically and emotionally trying experience, Dr. Kois says patients can improve their quality of life with dental implants, emphasizing the following benefits:
- Comfort and convenience: Since dental implants are anchored into the jawbone, they do not shift or cause gum irritation. As a result, they do not require any adhesives or pastes to stay in place, such as with dentures, making them a more convenient replacement for missing teeth.
- Secure fit: Dental implants create a sturdy base for porcelain crowns, fixed bridges, or full-arch dentures like the All-on-4® system. Due to the secure nature of implants, patients are able to eat all of their favorite foods again without restriction.
- Preserves bone structure: Since the implant fuses with the jawbone, this stimulates the surrounding bone to prevent recession, which also helps maintain one’s natural facial contour.
- Natural look and feel: At Kois Dentistry, restorations are custom-made by highly trained lab technicians to look like the patient’s surrounding teeth and ensure the most comfortable fit possible.
- Long-lasting results: When cared for properly, dental implants can last for decades, if not the rest of one’s lifetime.
Dr. Kois has helped numerous men and women realize the benefits of dental implants. One success story is Bonnie, a patient who suffered from dark, short, and brittle teeth due to previously having an eating disorder. She suffered from painful teeth for years, always trying to hide her smile. In an attempt to find relief, Bonnie visited Kois Dentistry. Dr. Kois discussed the option of dentures with Bonnie, but both ultimately agreed that dental implants were the right choice for her. To achieve the best possible outcome, Dr. Kois removed all of Bonnie’s teeth to place several dental implants and attach a full set of teeth for the upper and lower arches.
In an interview about her experience, Bonnie says she barely recognizes herself, due to the dramatic improvement she achieved with her dental implants. Instead of hiding her smile like she had in the past, Bonnie says people now tell her she has a beautiful smile, which she is proud to display.
Dr. Kois has seen the life-changing results that dental implants have provided for his patients. He encourages anyone suffering from missing or severely damaged teeth to discuss their options with a qualified and experienced dental professional. By doing so, Dr. Kois says they can not only enhance their oral health and smile appearance, but transform their outlook on life.
About Dean E. Kois, DMD, MSD
Dr. Dean E. Kois earned his Doctorate in Dental Medicine from Nova Southeastern University, College of Dental Medicine. After earning his DMD, Dr. Kois received a Certificate in Prosthodontics with a Master of Science degree from the University of Washington, School of Dentistry. He went on to train at New York University, College of Dentistry, completing a two-year surgical implant fellowship. Dr. Kois offers a wide range of dental solutions at his practice, Kois Dentistry, alongside Drs. Tara L. Kois, John C. Kois, and Brienne Roloff. He also works with restorative dentists at the Kois Center. Dr. Kois is a member of several associations, including the American College of Prosthodontists, American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry, and American Academy of Restorative Dentistry. He is available for interview upon request.
To view the original source of this release, click here: https://www.koisdentistry.com/dental-implants/seattle-dentists-highlight-life-changing-benefits-of-dental-implants/
South Lake Union Office:
1001 Fairview Ave N, Ste 2000
Seattle, WA 98109
5615 Valley Ave E
Tacoma, WA 98424